How do you know you matter in this world? What difference do you make to God and others, why are you here, and what is the meaning of your life?
Welcome to my world — I ask those questions all the time. I often look for proof I matter to God, that my She Blossoms blogs and books make a difference. I want my life to matter not just to God but to the world. I don’t want to waste my life, or reach age 107 with regrets about my choices, words, experiences.
You’re here because you yearn to know you matter to God, to the world, to the people in your life. You want to be seen, valued, and loved. This is normal! You were created to belong to a group of like-minded folk. A family, a tribe, a community. Even more importantly, you were created because you matter to God. He didn’t make you for no reason. That’s the most important proof that you matter: God created you. But wait, there’s more! Come, let’s dig up the proof that you matter not just to God, but to the world.
You matter to me. I’m glad you’re here. I may not know your name, age, gender or even how you found me…but I know you’re here because of God.
More importantly, you matter to God. You may always feel His presence or spend time in His word, but you matter more than you know.
Proof That You Matter to God
This article is part of my “She Blossoms Through the Bible” project. I’m writing an article for every chapter in every book of the Bible; at the end of this post you’ll find a list of my previous articles. This article (Proof That You Matter to God – Step 6) is inspired by Genesis 6.
In each article, I share:
- 3 qualities of God
- 3 characteristics of us
- 3 practical steps for growing forward
In this article, we get a glimpse of God’s personal attributes and His relationship with Noah. And we’ll find proof that we matter to God more than we know.
1. God is alert and attentive. The Lord saw exactly what was happening on the earth in Genesis 6. He was there, even if the sons of God and the daughters of man didn’t see or feel His presence. God knew what they were doing, how, why, when, and with whom. The Lord also knew what was happening in their hearts and spirits…and He knows what’s happening in our lives, hearts, and spirits. God sees what we do when we’re alone and with others. He knows what we think, feel, and believe. God is part of our lives even when we think we’re alone. This is proof we matter to God more than we’ll ever know.
2. God’s heart is broken for this world. Genesis 6:6 tells us God was grieved in His heart because of the pain, suffering, and evil in the world. He regretted making mankind — even though He blessed us and called us good when He first created us. The specific reasons God was anguished about the world are fascinating; research “sons of God” to learn how His heavenly beings rebelled and caused corruption. People were destroying themselves and the earth, and it mattered to God.
3. God acts in response to pain and evil. The Bible tells us how God felt and acted in response to evil in historical times (Genesis 6:13). But we don’t always see how He responds to corruption, injustice, inequality and suffering in the world today. The earth is groaning under the weight of garbage and pollution, both literally and figuratively! It matters to God that His creation is suffering, that we’re sick and dying. He responds in various ways — even when we think He doesn’t care. One of the most important ways God responds is by bringing us together. The fact that you’re here on She Blossoms, reading this article, is proof that you matter to God.
Need encouragement? Get a beautiful FREE "She Blossoms" 2019 calendar when you sign up for my free weekly Blossom Tips!
About You and Me
1. We forget how powerful and holy God is. It’s so easy to get distracted by this world. Websites are flashy and distracting, tv shows demanding and entertaining, videos insistent and prolific. There is so much going on! Even I — an introverted writer who works alone all day — feel the pull of the lights, noise and action of the world. We forget how holy, powerful, and awesome God is. We get caught up in daily life…and sometimes we sink into unhealthy and wrong things. We forget to seek proof we matter to God, to hold on to what matters most. This is the deceiver at work in the world, and we fall prey.
2. We stop walking with God. In How to Walk in Faith – Step 5 I described how Enoch walked with God (Genesis 5). In Genesis 6 we see how Noah walked in faith with God, and what the results were. It’s so easy to forget the Lord — and so foolish! He is the source of wisdom, power, strength, freedom and joy. God gives us Jesus, who blesses us with light and life, hope and healing, courage and love. We stray.
3. We forget that the end will come. There is a point of no return. The day you take your final breath will come. You will see God face to face, you will meet Jesus, and you will see the truth about the Holy Spirit (Ruach), the Divine Council, and the Bible. You will have all the proof you need that you matter to God…and it will be too late. You’ll have regrets, because you can’t live a perfect life. You’ll wish you had done things differently.
Living Like You Matter to God
1. Learn who God is. The layers and layers of God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit in the Christian Bible will astound, fascinate, terrify, confuse, and thrill you! The more you learn who the Lord is and why Jesus died for you, the easier it’ll be to find proof you matter to God. His love saturates the Bible — and His fingerprints are all over your life. Look for Him, and you will find Him around unexpected corners and in surprising places.
2. Expect an unpredictable, wild, adventurous walk with God. Nobody had it easy in Genesis 6 — not even Noah. He had to build an ark for reasons he knew naught of. Noah invested his time, energy, sweat, blood, tears, resources, and family in this project. Building the ark was laborious, tedious, expensive, dangerous, ridiculous, and foolish to outsiders. It took years! But Noah did it. Did he look for proof he mattered to God? I don’t know. But whether or not Noah knew he matter, he still acted on God’s call.
3. Renew and refresh your mind daily. It’s so easy to forget how much you matter to God. The deceiver is constantly pulling you away — and not always with “evil” or “bad” things. Choose to focus on the proof you matter to God. Choose to dwell in faith, hope, love and joy! Choose to walk through the Bible with Jesus, to see Him in your daily life. Choose to believe you matter to God…because the truth is that you do.
If you don’t feel like you matter in this world, read What to Remember When You Feel Like No One Cares.
How do you know you matter to God? Where do you see His fingerprints in your life Your thoughts — big and little — are welcome below!
She Blossoms Through the Bible – Previous Steps
- How to Walk in Faith – Step 5
- Healing Your Heavy Heart – Step 4
- Who You Were Created to Be – Step 3
- What You Were Created to Do – Step 2
- The Reason You Were Created – Step 1
May your heart, mind, body and spirit be filled with all the proof you need that you matter to God. May you find rest and strength in the grace and love of Jesus. May you pick up the sword of faith and the armor of God, and may you walk boldly and humbly in this world.
With His love,
Do you need relationship help? Get Mort Fertel's 7 Steps to Fixing Your Marriage. It's helpful - and free!